Youth Development & Agricultural Education Strategic Plan
Download the Youth Development & Agricultural Education Strategic Plan for 2016-2021
Key priorities, based on identified goals and corresponding strategic initiatives, were identified as the critical functions needed to fulfill our mission and achieve the vision articulated in the YDAE Strategic Plan. Priorities will be revisited annually and pursued vigorously with appropriate assessment of progress during the strategic plan period.
- Clarify and articulate our uniqueness among agricultural social science departments in integrating applications of STEM integration, science communication, public engagement, international development and agricultural education.
- Conduct and disseminate impactful interdisciplinary research and scholarship with national/international visibility in science communication, integrated STEM learning, agricultural education, and public engagement.
- Proactively increase extramural funding to advance research and scholarship.
- Increase undergraduate and graduate course enrollments, especially focusing on urban, first-generation, and under-represented minority students.
- Strengthen undergraduate and graduate curricula for students across the college in communication, education, social science applications and issues and public engagement, while possibly developing new minors, majors and certifications.
- Sincerely commit to student success with focus on learning outcomes, comprehensive education, timely degree completion, and career placement.
- Embrace public engagement opportunities through strong learning, education and outreach programs.
- Significantly strengthen external collaborations with alumni, industry, organizations, community leaders, Extension, and other educational institutions and agency partners.
- Substantially increase development funding to enhance undergraduate and graduate student scholarships, experiential learning opportunities, and department infrastructure.
- Identify a more appropriate name and branding for the department that highlights our unique strengths and characteristics.
- Continually improve the department's climate with regard to diversity and inclusion, mutual respect and collegiality, and support for every member of the department to reach his or her full potential for success.
- Creatively acquire and design appropriate space and facilities for offices, classrooms, learning laboratories, collaborative spaces and graduate student workstations to enhance productivity and promote professional collegiality.