GENOMIC PROCEDURES via Animations
Computer animations (simulations) of genomic labratory procedures were created as part of a collaborative project between the University of Illinois, Purdue University and Cornell University to sequence the apple. This work was funded, in part, by the National Science Foundation.
The Apple Genomics Project website, www.ydae.purdue.edu/apple_genomics/, includes lesson plans and additional information
The genomics computer animations will help your students visualize the following topics:
- What is a genome?
- DNA Cloning into Plasmid Vectors
- Gene Expression, from DNA to RNA.
- cDNA Cloning
- Isolating Plasmid DNA from Bacteria
- Modeling DNA Sequencing with Lego Blocks
- Using Microarrays to Study Gene Expression in the Apple
Two additional animations, created under another project at Purdue:
(Pictures are from animation #6)